Skip to content
The name Cat Island Cookies comes from the westernmost barrier island just seven miles off the Mississippi Gulf Coast. When European settlers first landed on the island in the 1600's, they mistook the island's many raccoon inhabitants for cats, christening it the "Island of Cats." Home to both military and pirate operations throughout the centuries, approximately half of Cat Island today is managed by the National Parks Service. The Island was gifted to the state of Mississippi in the fall of 2016.